Thursday, January 21, 2010

What we talk about when we Talk about love.

The main point of the story is obvious but far from simple, how do you define love? Raymond Carver presents us with different options to choose from on what the definition of love is by the opinions of these characters in his story. They one opinion I find most interesting is Mel’s. His opinion can be summed up in this statement “The terrible thing is, but the good thing too, the saving grace, you might say’ is that if something happened to one of us-excuse me for saying this-but if something happened to one of us tomorrow, I think the other one, the other person, would grieve for a while, you know, but then the surviving party would forget and love again.” His ideas are not very romantic per say or fantastical but how are they not true. We have abundant examples in the world today of when peoples spouses dies and then the other gets remarried. Mel also brings up the question is human love unconditional? The answer to this question is as rough as the one to the last, absolutely not. It’s not very flattering to romantics but it’s not false. It’s easy to think of a situation where you loved someone but your feelings change. The most apparent example of such is someone cheating on the other in a relations ship. The ability to stop loving someone then becomes painfully possible. There are even catchy songs written about it. For example Carry Underwood’s “Before he Cheats” (not really my style of music but it works)
Mel presents these concepts as fact, and ever dares his friends to prove him wrong, none attempt of course but rather call him crazy and discredit his ideas on account of his intoxication. In his friends reaction I believe Carver is posing a sort of sub point, not relation to defining love but rather a small insight into the behavior of the human mind. Too often I fear in similar situation the vast majority of people take the closed minded rout when presented with an opposing opinion or a less than ideal understanding of the matter, as Mel’s friends to him. I would wager that the average reader would dismiss these thought as easily as Mel’s friends did based on the fact that they just want to believe that love isn’t as magical as they think it is. Or, another reason could be that these ideas are coming from the mouth of a drunken man. This is a work fiction. The ideas did not come from the mind of some intoxicated man but rather Raymond Carver. Regardless of the source if they ideas are logically sound and you can’t refute them who are you to disagree?
If you disagree with this please tell me why, although I don’t expect any reactions because of how late I’m posting it.

1 comment:

  1. "The ability to stop loving someone then becomes painfully impossible."
    I like that... Love can become pain and agony, not just pleasure and butterflies in the stomach.

    ReplyDelete